Assertion Failed Bad Event Handle Error in MW2: How to Fix
We have a fix for you if you are bothered by the Assertion Failed Bad Event Handle error in MW2. 🎯
MW2 is an impressive shooter, but technically unsophisticated and with an unimpressive campaign. Multiplayer is the bright side of the game, but numerous bugs can only reduce your gaming experience. One of the annoying errors you can get in MW2 is Assertion Failed Bad Event Handle. This article will explain why this error occurs and how to fix it effectively with our tips.
Why do I get an Assertion Failed Bad Event Handle in MW2?
Here are a few potential causes for the Assertion Failed Bad Event Handle error in MW2:
- incompatibility of your PC with the recommended specifications
- outdated GPU driver
- outdated game version
- corrupted or missing game files
- corrupted system files
- antivirus or firewall blocking the game
How do I fix the Assertion Failed Bad Event Handle in MW2?
We recommended beginning with easy tasks like this:
- Check if your PC meets the recommended system requirements. Upgrade your hardware if needed.
- Run the game as an administrator.
- Close any unnecessary tasks running in the background.
- Restart the game or your PC.
If you have followed all the previous steps and are still having issues, you can attempt the following suggestions:
- Update GPU driver
- Verify the integrity of game files
- Update the game
- Move the install folder
- Repair system files
1. Update GPU driver
MW2 may experience startup issues, get stuck on the loading screen, crash, and other errors caused by outdated or corrupted graphics drivers. The first step is to update your graphics card driver to the latest version. Do the following:
🛠 Update GPU driver through Device Manager
1. Press the Win+R keys to bring up the Run dialog box.
2. Type; “devmgmt.msc” and hit Enter to open Device Manager.
3. Double-click on the Display adapters to expand, right-click on GPU, and select Update driver.
4. Follow the on-screen guide for installing the latest GPU driver version.
🌐 Update GPU driver through the web browser
To ensure you have the correct driver for your graphics card, it’s important to identify the specific model first. Once you have this information, you can visit the official website of AMD, NVIDIA, or Intel and download the latest driver available.
✅ Update GPU driver using Outbyte Driver Updater
Updating all system drivers on your Windows PC is now easier and faster with Outbyte Driver Updater. This helpful tool performs a quick scan and continually updates all the drivers with just a few mouse clicks, allowing you to save precious time.
⇒ Get Outbyte Driver Updater
2. Verify the integrity of game files
Some MW2 game files may be corrupted or missing, affecting the stable operation and leading to an Assertion Failed Bad Event Handle error. For this reason, we recommend that you check the integrity of the game files as follows:
1. Launch the Steam client and go to your games library.
2. Right-click on the Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 and select Properties.
3. Select the LOCAL FILES tab and click on Verify the Integrity of Game Files.
4. Wait for the file verification process to complete and launch MW2 to see if the error is gone.
3. Update the game
We suggest often checking if there are any updates for MW2, as an outdated version might have severe bugs and instability problems. To check for updates, follow these steps:
1. Run the Steam client and go to your game’s library.
2. Select Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II.
3. If there is an update available, make sure to click on Update.
4. Move the install folder
Time needed: 5 minutes
Sometimes the Assertion Failed Bad Event Handle error in MW2 occurs if the Steam client and the game are not installed on the same drive. In that case, you can uninstall and install the game on the same drive as the Steam client (we recommend it be an SSD drive) or move the game files.
- Launch the Steam client
Go to your games library, right-click on the game, and select Properties.
- Select the LOCAL FILES option
Click on Move install folder.
- Select destination drive
Choose the corresponding drive where your Steam client is installed from the options in the drop-down menu.
- Launch MW2
After moving, run MW2 to check if the “Assertion Failed Bad Event Handle” Error is gone.
5. Repair system files
One of the possible reasons why you get an Assertion Failed Bad Event Handle error in MW2 is that your system drive has some file issues. Run a simple SFC tool (System File Checker) to check the integrity of system files. It is a Windows utility that scans and possibly repairs corrupted system files. Do the following:
1. Click on the search box and enter cmd.
2. Right-click on the Command prompt and select Run as administrator.
3. In the command prompt, type; “sfc /scannow” and press Enter.
4. Wait until SFC scans and repair system files, then restart your PC.
Do you still have an Assertion Failed Bad Event Handle error in MW2? Then, consider these options:
- Update DirectX, .NET Framework, and VCRedist
- Temporarily disable firewall and third-party security software
- Reinstall MW2 on a drive where is Steam client is installed.
We have tried to provide the best solutions to solve the Assertion Failed Bad Event Handle in MW2. Let us know in the comments below which solution worked for you or if you have a better one that we haven’t mentioned.