Cities: Skylines was released yesterday on Steam and until now it has 1374 Overwhelmingly Positive reviews from the users, but some of them also reported errors and bugs in the game. The newly released game is a modern take on the classic city simulation, it introduces new gameplay elements to realize the thrill and hardships of creating and maintaining a real city while expanding on some well-established tropes of the city building experience.
The most common Cities: Skylines Errors reported by the users are: Random Crashes, Unknown Errors, Cities.exe has stopped working, Missing Executable, Black Screen and other minor bugs that you can quickly fix with some workarounds.
Let’s start and fix your game, the first step that you need to make is to verify that your PC meets the minimum system requirements of the game. Check them below and if your PC doesn’t fall in the minimum category you need to upgrade it to a better one because your issues are probably generated by this. If you pass all the requirements go ahead and check for your issue in the list below, there you will find solutions and workarounds to fix your game.
- OS: Microsoft Windows XP/Vista/7/8/8.1 (64-bit)
- Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.0GHz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+, 3.2GHz
- Memory: 4 GB RAM
- Graphics: nVIDIA GeForce GTX 260, 512 MB or ATI Radeon HD 5670, 512 MB (Does not support Intel Integrated Graphics Cards)
- DirectX: Version 9.0c
- Network: Broadband Internet connection
- Storage: 4 GB available space
- OS: Microsoft Windows 7/8 (64-bit)
- Processor: Intel Core i5-3470, 3.20GHz or AMD FX-6300, 3.5Ghz
- Memory: 6 GB RAM
- Graphics: nVIDIA GeForce GTX 660, 2 GB or AMD Radeon HD 7870, 2 GB (Does not support Intel Integrated Graphics Cards)
- DirectX: Version 11
- Network: Broadband Internet connection
- Storage: 4 GB available space
How To Fix Cities: Skylines Errors:
#1 Cities: Skyline Random Crashes
Some players are encountering random crashes during the game and others when they try to start the game. Some of them also complained about horrible crashes that result in a PC shutdown. You can also encounter crashes when you try to save the game or when you exit.
“This game keeps crashing my computer. It is not my power supply, and it only happens when I open up this game. I play for a few minutes, and my computer shuts off. I am a running a decently powerful system. I can play Total War Attila on max settings along with the rest of my library games without a hitch, so please don’t tell me my GPU can’t handle anything.”
- The first thing that you should try is to update your graphic card.
- After that, if you still encounter crashes you need to apply our patch and optimize your game. For more details on how to do that go to the tutorial at the end of the post!
#2 Cities: Skyline Unknown Error
Some players are unable to start the game because they encounter the following error “Game Failed To Start (Unknown Error)”. A user said on the Steam Forum that he managed to fix this issue by disabling all his game mods, you should try this first if you use any mods. If not check the workarounds below to fix the unknown error.
“Game will not launch, keeps telling me “game failed to start (unknown error)” please help me fix this error, I’m not the only one with this problem!”
Workarounds: This error is always caused by trying to run the game under 32bit Windows. The game’s published minimum requirements explicitly state that 64bit Windows is required. If you have Vista, 7, 8 or 8.1 your Windows license covers both 32bit and 64bit versions of Windows, so there’s no cost to download and switch. But there is the pain of doing a full Windows re-install, never pleasant I know!
- If you don’t want to do that there is a simple way to fix this issue and launch your game. You can just apply our patch to your game and it will fix this error for you. For more details go to the end of the post!
#3 Cities: Skyline “Cities.exe has stopped working”
You may get this error in many instances but a lot of players reported that they encounter it just after they launched the game. So you launch your game, everything is fine, you just get to the first loading screen and bang the game crashes and you get this error Cities.exe has stopped working. You can simply fix this issue by following the workaround below.
“I really want to play this game, downloaded and installed fine. Went to play and the game immediately crashes, along with a windows message saying, Cities.exe has stopped working. Anyone having similar issues or solutions?”
- Press Windows+S and type msconfig
- Open Boot and select advanced options.
- Check a number of processors and select it to 12.
- Now, get back to the game.
#4 Cities: Skyline Black Screen
Everytime you try to start a new city your screen goes black and you can’t see anything? You can see the loading screen when starting a new city but once it has completed loading, the screen goes black. Also, the game sound works and you can hear it but you can’t see anything. Just read the tips below, you will find a fix for PC and also for Mac.
This is how players described the Black Screen issue in Cities: Skylines. If you have the same problems don’t worry there are some steps that you can follow so you can fix this issue.
Looks like some steam cache is still releasing 1.0.3 version of the game to people instead of 1.0.5 which isn’t right. If you see your game is this old version, or you have some strange problems, please exit the game and verify the integrity of your game cache via steam. Running a laptop and having the black screen issue? Make sure you’re not using the integrated GPU (this is especially a potential problem if you’re running Windows 8.1)
- Running a laptop and having the black screen issue? Make sure you’re not using the integrated GPU (this is especially a potential problem if you’re running Windows 8.1).
Is your game grayed or blacked out? This means there’s something bad with the installation. Try verifying cache, reinstalling, restarting Steam and see if that solves the issue! For MAC USERS that are seeing grey menu items, this is a permission problem and you can fix it with the steps below.
1) Launch Finder.
2) Menu: Go to folder. Enter ~/.config/
3) Select .config and press ⌘-I to open folder properties
4) In sharing and permission change all access from Read to Read and write.
5) Launch the game.
#5 Cities: Skyline Missing Executable
Trying to start the game and you are unable because of Missing Executable error? Don’t worry this is the most common issue in the game and a lot of players are complaining about it. You shouldn’t worry because there is an easy way to fix it and start your game. Just continue to read below and you will find our solutions.
The developers said this about the issue: 64-bit OS is the requirement to run the game and that’s not a problem, you should try verifying your game files so that the missing file can be downloaded. Also, this issue might be because either Steam has failed to download the full game, or your anti-virus app has got in the way. Run a Steam verify for the first issue, disable AV then do that for the second.
Solution: You can try the developers tips above and see if they help you fix your error but if you don’t want to change your Windows, and I think that you don’t want that because it’s a lot of work, you can apply our patch to your game and the Missing Executable issue will be fixed and you will be able to start your game. For more details and a download link check the tutorial below!
Cities: Skylines Tutorial To Fix Major Issues:
*Only for Crashes, Unknown Error and Missing Executable
You arrived here because you are encountering one of the major issues of the game: Crashes, Unknown Error or Missing Executable. These issues are very hard to fix and some workarounds won’t help you fix them. This is why our team of developers released this patch, to help you fix your game and play it. Below you can see a picture of how our patch looks like and what it does. You will also find a download link and a tutorial that will help you step by step to apply the patch correctly to your game and fix your issue. For your knowledge and safety: our patch won’t interfere with your Steam account, it will just change some files and .dll’s in the game folder for the errors to be fixed.
Follow the tutorial below to apply the patch correctly to your game. Please read it step by step and if you don’t understand something just contact us on our Support page here, our team responds in a matter of minutes.
How to apply our patch:
- Download the archive of the patch from here: download
- Extract the downloaded archive on your PC, and open the patch from the folder.
- Your GPU will be selected automatically, make sure that you use your dedicated GPU if you have a laptop!
- Select the game executable from the game folder, if you used the default install folder it should be: “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steamapps\common\Cities: Skylines”
- Select your issue or issues from the box to the right and click the corresponding “Fix” button.
- After your errors are successfully fixed you can click the “Launch Game” button and play the game.
How to download: Well, you might think that our download service is pretty annoying but is very effective. To download you just need to complete a simple offer, it usually takes a few minutes, and after that, you will be able to download the patch. We use this service because is the only way to support our developers and to keep releasing and updating patches for games. Thank you! We hope you understand us and have fun playing Cities: Skylines!
We hope that our guide helped you fix your Cities: Skylines errors and if you encounter any other errors or problems with the patch contact us with a comment below and we will help you fix your game. – GamesErrors Team