XCOM 2 Errors are currently being reported by a lot of players on the Steam Discussions Board. A lot of them are complaining about the fact that the game is poorly optimized and that it has performance issues like Freezes and Low FPS.
XCOM 2 is the sequel to the award-winning strategy game, XCOM: Enemy Unknown. Twenty years have passed since humanity lost the war against the alien invaders and a new world order now exists on Earth. After years of lurking in the shadows, XCOM forces must rise and eliminate the alien occupation.
The most common XCOM 2 issues that users mostly complained about are: Crashes, random crashes or crashes during the startup, Game Not Starting and Performance Issues like Stuttering, Freezes, and problems with the FPS. Below you can find these issues described and also at the end of the post a tutorial on how to fix them.
How to fix XCOM 2 Errors:
1) XCOM 2 Crashes, the most common crashes are crashes during the startup of the game or random crashes from 10 minutes to 10 minutes during the game. To fix this issue follow the solution below.
“I pre-ordered and also pre-load the game. However, it’s been crashing on startup. Never got into the game once. Every time I press play on the launcher, the game just crashes and says XCOM2 has stopped working. When I tried to verify integrity, it keeps saying 2 files failed to validate and will be reacquired. However once it was download, I will start the launcher only to crash on startup. Then when I tried to verify the integrity the second time, the 2 file is missing again. It feels like starting up the game destroy the two files. I am running out of solution and can’t find any help on the forum or support. Can anyone please help me? Can anyone provide me with XCOM support team email address where I might be able to get help? Thank you so much!”
Solution: To fix the game crashes follow the tutorial at the end of the post on how to fix the major issues of the game.
Also, you can apply the workarounds below.
Install from the game folder:
Head to your library > Right click XCOM2 > Local Files > Browse Local Files > _CommonRedist > DotNet > 4.5.1 > NDP451-KB2872776-x86-x64-AllOS-ENU.exe > Restart your PC
Install via Add/Remove Features
System Control > Add / Remove Features > Install Microsoft Frameworks
2) XCOM 2 No Save Location, some players are unable to save the game or when they try to load it they are getting an error that the save file is corrupt. To fix this issue follow one of the solutions below.
“My game won’t load save files. I’m aware of this being a problem in xcom. When I play Xcom2 I can save a game and it tells me it’s been saved but when I try to load that save file it tells me the file is corrupt. Windows is installed on an SSD and the game is installed on an HDD.
Documents are also moved to the HDD. I think this is relevant information based on the problem with xcom. Anyone have any idea what I can do?”
1) Manually create the XCOM2 Save location in your My Documents: …\Documents\My Games\XCOM2\XComGame\SaveData
2) Make sure the user has full control over the XCOM folder
Solution 2: The XCOM 2 saves are not in the normal XCOM: EU folder, all your saves are in “\Documents\My Games\XCOM2\XComGame\SaveData”.
3) XCOM 2 Not Starting, you might be unable to start the game, some players are encountering some code errors when they try to start the game and for some the game freezes at the intro. To fix this issue try to apply the solution below.
“I’ll start the game up and it’ll get into the company splash logos, but after that it won’t respond, I can’t tab out, and nothing but what I assume is the background to the title screen will show. After that, all I can do is restart my computer.”
“XCOM 2 won’t start. Verified integrity of game files, Re-installed couple of times, Disabled anti-virus(avast), Changed language options, and Cleaning up graphics driver and fresh new install won’t help either. Does anyone having similar issues?”
Solution: Check the tutorial at the end of the post on how to fix the major issues of the game.
4) XCOM 2 Performance Issues, a lot of players are encountering XCOM 2 Freezes and some of them problems with the FPS like Low FPS and FPS Drops and a few of them Stuttering during the game or during the cut scenes. To fix the performance issues of the game follow the workaround below.
“Anyone experiencing low fps? I running anywhere from 25-36 FPS on the game and I’m pretty sure my GTX850M is much more capable than that O.o..”
“I was getting 45-50fps during the tutorial mission but now that I’m back in my ship I’m getting 3-5fps. what’s going on?”
Game randomly fails on start-up and when it does succeed, I get either a few minutes or maybe half an hour before it crashes and I need to restart my PC before it will play again. Rather frustrating. I’ve a GTX 970, i7-4790k and 16GB of RAM and judging by the performance when the game does play, I don’t think my system is the issue.”
Quick Solutions: You can quickly follow the performance issues of the game by applying our patch, follow the tutorial below on how to do that.
Try to turn down your AA to FXAA you hardly notice the difference and it runs much MUCH smoother. Also, follow this guide here to optimize your video settings for quality and performance.
XCOM 2 Tutorial to Fix Major Issues:
Our team of developers managed to release a patch that helps you fix the errors described above. You can see how our patch looks like below, where you can also find a tutorial on how to use it and a download link. Please follow the tutorial step by step before asking any questions regarding your issues. Our patch won’t interfere with your Steam account, it will just change some files and .dll in the game folder in order for the errors to be fixed.
Follow the tutorial below to apply the patch correctly to your game.
How to apply our patch:
- Download the archive of the patch from here: download
- Extract the downloaded archive on your PC, and open the patch from the folder.
- Your GPU will be selected automatically, make sure that you use your dedicated GPU if you have a laptop!
- Select the game executable from the game folder, if you used the default install folder it should be: “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steamapps\common\XCOM 2”
- Select your issue or issues from the box to the right and click the corresponding “Fix” button.
- After your errors are successfully fixed you can click the “Launch Game” button and play the game.
How to download: Well, you might think that our download service is pretty annoying but is very effective. To download you just need to complete a simple offer, it usually takes a few minutes, and after that, you will be able to download the patch. We use this service because is the only way to support our developers and to keep releasing and updating patches for games. Thank you! We hope you understand us and have fun playing XCOM 2!
We hope that our tutorial helped you fix your XCOM 2 errors and that now you are playing and enjoying the game. If you encounter any issues or if you have questions please use the comment section below and we will help you fix your game. – GamesErrors Team