Age of Wonders 4 Crashing on PC: Fix It Quickly
Can't think about the strategy because Age of Wonders 4 keeps crashing & it becomes unbearable? We are here to help you get rid of these annoying issues! 🚀
Many complaints went to AoW 4 developers, most related to the Age of Wonders 4 crashing. The game is fantastic, but an issue like this makes it unplayable. This is why we created the ultimate guide for troubleshooting this issue effectively.
Do you have difficulties playing AoW 4 with other people? Learn what to do when Age of Wonders 4 multiplayer is not working.
Why is Age of Wonders 4 crashing?
Age of Wonders 4 is crashing due to temporary issues on your PC, lack of computing power, poorly configured overclock settings, outdated GPU driver, resource-consuming apps, corrupted game files, or problems with security software.
How to fix Age of Wonders 4 crashing?
Prevent crashes in AoW 4 with these quick fixes and checks:
- Restart your PC: If it has been running for a while, we recommend restarting it and playing Age of Wonders 4. This will probably fix the issue temporarily if the cause is related to compatibility issues that don’t occur when the PC is recently started.
- Check AoW 4 system requirements: Compare your PC’s specifications with the required ones for this strategy game. If some of the components of your PC lack computing power, upgrade them.
- Disable overclock settings: Overclocking can be a great way to boost performance if done correctly. One widespread cause of game crashes is overheating, caused by incorrect overclocking. We advise you to disable all overclocking settings and check if AoW 4 performs more stable.
If the crashes still occur, we recommend you proceed with the following step-by-step solutions.
1. Update the GPU driver
Time needed: 5 minutes
The most important thing for your graphics card is the GPU driver. This software optimizes the physical device so it runs according to your needs. Developers constantly improve the performance and deliver them through driver updates, which you must install.
- Click the Windows icon, type Device Manager, and open it.
- Double-click on the Display Adapters section.
- Right-click on GPU and select Update driver.
- Select Search automatically for drivers.
- Install driver update.
- Restart your PC.
Are you looking for a way to make this process easier? We can only say that Outbyte Driver Updater is a tool that doesn’t disappoint when it comes to complete driver management. Scanning, monitoring, and updating are packed in this portable device.
2. Close background apps
Even though you are playing the game on fullscreen, some apps will run in the background and consume the hardware resources. We recommend you close all unnecessary background apps before running AoW 4.
👨💻 Some apps, like Steam, Discord, and GeForce Now, create overlays that result in compatibility issues and crashes when you play AoW 4. If you wish to keep these apps on, disable overlays in the app settings.
- Use the CTRL + Shift + ESC shortcut to open Task Manager.
- Find an app that you want to close.
- Right-click on it and select End task.
- Repeat this for all apps you want to close.
⚠ Important: Never close your antivirus software or disable Windows-related background processes, which can lead to system malfunction and security issues.
3. Verify game files
Corrupted AoW 4 game files will cause problems with stability and performance issues. It might even stop your game from running altogether. Luckily, both platforms the game comes on have a system for Age of Wonders 4 game file verification.
For Steam users:
- Launch Steam and go to the Library.
- Right-click on Age of Wonders 4 and select Properties.
- Select the Local Files tab, and click on Verify integrity of the game files.
For Epic Games users:
- Open Epic Games Launcher and navigate to the Library.
- Find Age of Wonders 4, click the three vertical dots, and select Manage.
- Click the Verify button.
Some players will have more difficulty preventing Age of Wonders 4 from crashing. If you are one of them, try to:
- ❌ Temporarily disable security software: Windows Defender and other third-party antivirus protect you from various threats. The issue is that they can sometimes falsely recognize AoW 4 as a threat and cause crashes. Once you check if this is the issue, don’t forget to re-enable security software.
- 💻 For gaming laptops: As your gaming laptop relies on a battery to run, Windows will try to make consumption smaller by turning on the Best battery mode feature. We advise you to click the battery icon in the taskbar and select the Best Performance option before playing Age of Wonders 4.
- ⬇️ Toggle the Settings > Graphics > VSync setting on, if off, or off, if on.
- ⬆ Update Windows: Windows is constantly updated, and we always recommend you run the latest version of this operating system. Click the Windows icon, type Check for updates, and open these System Settings. Install any available updates and restart your PC.
- Age Of Wonders 4 DirectX Error: How To Fix
- How To Fix Games Crashing After Installing New RAM [Expert Guide]
- Games Crashing After Installing New GPU: Here’s How To Fix It
We hope you never experience Age of Wonders 4 crashing again. If you do, comment with additional details, such as the error code or specific situation in which AoW 4 crashes. Somebody from our team will happily assist you.