FFXIV Packet Loss: Fix It Now!
Packet loss comes and goes from time to time, hampering your gaming experience. We can help you fix this below 👇
FFXIV, short for Final Fantasy XIV, is a subscription-based game with a solid player base. Unfortunately, like many other online games, FFXIV faces several technical challenges regarding connectivity. Many players report encountering the dreaded packet loss issue, which ruins the gaming experience. If you run into FFXIV packet loss, we have compiled a few possible workarounds below to help you solve the issue.
What causes packet loss in FFXIV?
The leading cause of Final Fantasy XIV packet loss is connectivity issues. FFXIV is an online game, meaning players must remain connected to Square Enix’s servers to do anything. If your PC fails to connect to the game’s servers or there’s network congestion, a desync occurs between you and the server. This causes packet loss, which hampers your gaming experience.
FFXIV has released patches to fix packet loss issues in the game, but many players still encounter the problem while playing. Luckily, we have a few proven solutions you can try to fix the issue and get back to gaming.
How to fix FFXIV packet loss?
Before performing any fixes, as a pre-check, do the following:
- Check server status: Check FFXIV server status to ensure there are no downtimes, outages, congestion, or scheduled maintenance. If the servers are down, there’s nothing much you can do other than wait.
- Close unnecessary background programs: Close any apps that may be using your network and are not directly related to FFXIV, such as OneDrive.
- Check your connectivity: Check your internet connection to ensure it’s stable.
If these don’t work, try the following fixes:
- Troubleshoot your internet connection
- Update your network drivers
- Configure the Windows Update delivery settings
- Use a VPN
- Use a wired Ethernet connection
1. Troubleshoot your internet connection
If your network connection status is stable, but you still experience packet loss in FFXIV, try troubleshooting your Internet. This may help fix connectivity issues that make connecting to the game’s servers impossible. Here’s how to do this:
- Press the network icon.
- Click Network & Internet settings.
- Under Advanced Network Settings, select Network Troubleshooter.
- Select All network adapters and let Windows detect and solve any network connection issues.
- Launch FFXIV to see if the error is solved.
2. Update your network drivers
Time needed: 4 minutes
Using outdated or corrupted network drivers can cause connection issues that result in packet loss issues. Updating your network driver to the latest version may help solve this problem. Here’s how to do this:
- Run box
Press the Windows key + R to open the run box.
- Device manager
Type devmgmt. msc and click OK to open Device Manager.
- Network adapters
Double-click network adapters to view the list of graphic drivers on your PC.
- Update driver
Right-click on the dedicated network driver you’re using and choose Update driver.
Select Search automatically for drivers and let Windows find and update drivers.
Launch FFXIV to see if the issue is solved.
3. Configure the Windows Update delivery settings
Some users report fixing the packet loss issue in FFXIV by configuring the Windows Update delivery settings. Here’s how to do this:
- Navigate to your search bar and type Windows Update Delivery. Click on Windows Update delivery settings.
- Disable the option Allow downloads from other PCs. Navigate down, and click on the advanced options tab.
- Switch from Absolute Bandwith to Percentage of measured bandwidth, limiting both percentage bars to 5%.
- Scroll down to Upload settings and limit the first option to 5%. This ensures that Windows will not use more than 5% of your total bandwidth while you are playing FFXIV.
4. Use a VPN
When a server is congested with too much traffic, it causes a delay between the gamer’s action and the server’s reaction. This lag makes it impossible to connect to the servers, resulting in packet loss issues. A VPN helps solve this problem by creating a secure connection between your PC and the Internet. ISPs can’t throttle your connection since they don’t know what you’re doing.
To use a VPN on your PC, do the following:
- Download a VPN app.
- Set up the VPN service – follow the prompts of the VPN app to set it up.
- Connect to a VPN server and see whether the issue is solved.
The best VPN for gaming to connect to is ExpressVPN. It offers blazing-fast speeds, DDoS protection, and unrestricted access for the ultimate gaming experience.
5. Use a wired Ethernet connection
FFXIV requires a more stable and faster internet connection to run smoothly. Switching to an Ethernet connection lets you get fast Internet that can help fix packet loss issues.
Plug in your Ethernet cable on the Ethernet port on both your router and PC and restart the game to see if the issue is solved. Ensure your WiFi connection is disabled.
- FFXIV Error Code 10105 [Solved]
- FFXIV Launcher Error: How To Fix It
- Fatal DirectX Error in FFXIV: How to Fix It Quickly
There you go – easy and simple fixes for the Final Fantasy XIV packet loss problem. Work your way down the list to find a solution that works for you. Leave any additional fixes, comments, or questions below.