Far Cry 4 Crashing: How to Fix It on PC
If Far Cry 4 is crashing on your PC, check the system requirements first and see our fixes
Far Cry 4 is one of the most popular games, and some players complained about frequent crashes that affect their gameplay.
The most common Far Cry 4 problems that people encounter are random crashes and black screen errors. Because of these errors, you might not be able to play the game, but we compiled a guide below on how to fix them.
💥 Why does Far Cry 4 keep crashing?
In a few words, you can have game issues while playing this game due to a number of reasons like incompatible or outdated drivers, background processes that cause in-game crashes, or corrupted files.
The game fans also reported that after installing new driver versions on their PCs, the game started to crash. To avoid this, you should make sure that you have the right drivers or update them according to our method.
How do I fix Far Cry 4 from crashing?
- Run the game as an administrator
- Update the GPU driver
- End the background programs
- Verify the game files’ integrity
- Stop Steam overlay
- Disable Real-time protection temporarily
- Check for Windows updates
- Reinstall your game
1. Run the game as an administrator
- Press Shift + Ctrl + Esc to open Task Manager.
- Enter Far Cry 4 in the search box to find the game location.
- Right-click on the game and click Properties from the list
- Now, go to the Compatibility tab and check Run this program as an administrator.
- Click Apply and OK to save the changes.
If this doesn’t fix it, you can try to run the game in compatibility mode to reduce the chances of crashing on your Windows version.
- To do so, simply tick the box Run this program in compatibility mode and choose Windows 8 or 10 according to your needs. Click on Apply and close the window. See if your game is running properly now.
2. Update the GPU driver
- Open Device Manager from the search box.
- Right-click on the display driver and click Update.
- Choose Search automatically for the driver.
- Restart your PC to complete the process.
1. Download and install Outbyte Driver Updater.
2. Launch the application.
3. Wait for Outbyte Driver Updater to detect all your faulty drivers.
4. The software will now show you all the drivers that have issues, and you just need to select the ones you’d like fixed.
5. Wait for Outbyte Driver Updater to download and install the newest drivers.
6. Restart your PC for the changes to take effect.
3. End the background programs
- Press Ctrl + Alt+ Delete and open Task Manager.
- Click on the Processes tab.
- Then, select unused programs in the list and right-click on them.
- Choose the End task for each program to stop the process.
- Close the window and retry the game.
4. Verify the game files’ integrity
- Launch the Steam app and select Library.
- Right-click on Far Cry 4 and select Properties.
- Switch to Local Files and click on Verify integrity of game files.
- Repair the corrupted files if there are any.
5. Stop the Steam overlay
- Start the Steam app and click on Settings.
- Navigate to the In-Game tab.
- Find the Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game option and uncheck it.
- Click the OK button and close the tab.
6. Disable Real-time protection
It is well-known that specific programs or applications may generate game crashes due to incompatibility reasons or file protection that detect your game as a threat. If it’s not the case, you should consider turning off the antivirus from your Windows PC.
7. Check for Windows updates
- Search for Windows Update.
- Click on the Check for updates button.
- Select the Install button for each available update.
- Restart your PC after the updates are completed.
8. Reinstall the game
If you couldn’t fix the error with any other method above, you should keep trying and reinstall the game in order to erase any damaged game files that might cause frequent crashes on Far Cry 4.
Therefore, you will possibly get rid of frustrating crashes and other game issues that may occur due to broken files, such as black screen errors.
How to fix Far Cry 4 black screen
In addition, there are many players that confirmed more serious issues like Far Cry 4 black screens on launch. This can not only interrupt the game but affect your system as well.
Workaround: In Settings, go to shadow settings. Now, change the shadow settings from medium to high by going into Video settings.
That’s about it. We believe that our guide will help you solve any crashing errors on Far Cry 4 or other older versions like Far Cry 5 crashes.
In addition, you may be interested in other captivating facts about Far Cry 6 regarding the game’s performance in general.
If you still have any concerns or questions about the game, don’t hesitate to reach out in the comments section.