11 facts about Far Cry 6
- Genre: open world first-person shooter
- Developer: Ubisoft Toronto
- Publisher: Ubisoft
- Platforms: PC, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X
- Release Date: May 26, 2021
The Far Cry series currently includes five numbered games and several spin-offs. And they’re all completely different games. In fact, Far Cry is just famous for the fact that each new game is something very different from the previous ones. The spin-offs that came out in the 10s were really crazy – players traveled from a retro fantasy world to the Stone Age, and from there to the post-apocalypse. Numerical FarCry games are usually calmer, and yet they still always surprise gamers with something new and crazy. Far Cry 6 game, that we are waiting for this year, also is going to continue this tradition. Moreover, this game promises to surprise gamers with more innovations, than any Far Cry game before! So, let’s take a look at ten facts you might not know about FarCry 6.
- New Far Cry game will be situated in fictional island country called Yara. It is a tropical country that is ruled by the dictatorial regime of Anton Castillo. On the one hand, Yara is a warm, heavenly place, where you can live without worries. On the other hand, under Castillo’s rule, the country seems to be frozen in time and completely undeveloped. Of course, this state of affairs does not suit the population, because many residents of Yara are below the poverty line – they live almost on the verge of starvation. Riots break out all over the country, the state is on the verge of a large-scale revolution, and Castillo maintains order as best he can, relying on his loyal soldiers.
- Another little fact – the island of Yara during the action of Far Cry 6 is under the sanctions of strong democracies. It is largely because of the sanctions that the country is in such dire straits. One of Anton Castillo’s main goals, in addition to holding power and bringing order to the country, is to rid the state of sanctions. This is the kind of harsh world we come to in the very beginning of Far Cry 6.
- The protagonist of the project is a young rebel Dani Rojas, who accidentally became part of the revolution. The gamers will be able to choose the gender of the hero – if we are playing for the man, his voice will be performed by Sean Ray, and female version of Dani will be voiced by Nisa Gunduz. As the developers say, Far Cry 6 is a story about revolution. And it’s Dani, who has a personal connection to the game world, will be our guide through the story of Yara, which will be happening before our eyes. That is, this time it’s not some tourist who got into the game world from somewhere outside – we play as a character who was born and raised in Yara and is a true patriot who wants the best for his state.
- But Anton Castillo is just as much of a patriot. Yara’s president intends to do everything he can to restore the country to its former glory. He also worries about the future – in the first cinematic trailer, we see Anton giving his 13-year-old son Diego a very harsh lesson. The dictator is clearly grooming the boy to be his replacement. Actor Giancarlo Esposito, who gave Anton his looks and his voice, emphasizes that his character is very complex and contradictory. He really wants the best for his country, but intends to achieve it without the help of foreigners, whom he does not trust. And in order to achieve his goal, Castillo will do anything. He will not stop at murder – after all, he himself lost his father (he was killed 50 years ago, when the future dictator was very young), and this tragedy must have hardened Anton a lot.
- The third protagonist of the game will be Diego Castillo, who, as the developers promise, is very important for the story. The relationship between Anton and Diego will be demonstrated in the game through numerous third-person videos – and according to Ubisoft Toronto, these two will have a lot of screen time. In addition, in third-person mode we will be watching the main character (or heroine) in many in-game cinematics – this is also an innovation for the Far Cry series.
- Another major innovation of Far Cry 6 will be the urban locations. Now the battles are not limited by forests, mountains and villages – for the first time in Far Cry series we’ll fight in the big city Esperance, the capital of Yara. City locations will lead to a significant gameplay change, which is not only horizontal, but also vertical. In Far Cry 6 the battles take place not only in the streets, but also on the roofs of houses, not only in the wide-open spaces, but also in the narrow streets. The developers promise, that new game will give unusual gameplay experience to those, who have already played Far Cry series a lot. In addition to gunfights, you will also be able to play table games like blackjack, poker and other card games.
- At the beginning of the game, we will be not in the city. Gradually, players will liberate small villages and clear roadblocks packed with Castillo soldiers, getting closer and closer to the capital. Then we will be able to visit Esperanza more and more often, completing various quests there. Finally, we can assume that the final chapters of Far Cry 6 storyline will show us only the missions in the capital city.
- Another important feature is a detailed and as truthful as possible depiction of life in the country under the control of the dictator, as well as a truthful depiction of the revolution. The writers of Ubisoft Toronto went to Cuba and met with former guerrilla revolutionaries; whose stories influenced the plot of the sixth Far Cry game. Also, the developers are trying to give the atmosphere and the life of the country, that has been preserved in time for the last 50 years. For example, the freakish looks of Yara’s cars were inspired with Cuban auto industry. The developers studied the music of Cuba, the culture and history of the Liberty Island – all these things were reflected in the sixth part. There won’t be flashy entertainment centers with casino pokies online, only harsh suburbs of ghetto.
- As for the technical component, Ubisoft traditionally is going to make a beautiful game. In particular, they promise support for asynchronous calculations, ray tracing and shading with variable speed. The developers are working closely with AMD, which new gaming technologies are very pleased with the studio from Toronto. In particular, the development team works together with AMD specialists to provide the smoothest picture in 4K.
- About the customization the developers are still reluctant to talk. But it is already known that Far Cry 6 will offer deep customization of the protagonist’s equipment, his weapons and all the tools, he will find during the game.
- Rebels and government troops are not all parties involved in the civil war in Yara. There are several different warring factions in the game, but the developers do not reveal details about them yet.