Fixed: Cyberpunk 2077 Flatlined
An open-world action RPG set in the far future, CD Projekt Red’s Cyberpunk 2077 saw a rather bumpy release, with gamers worldwide bringing tons of bugs and lags into focus. An error that appeared on multiple discussion boards was one that read: “Whoa! Cyberpunk 2077 has flatlined.” While the development studio has been busy rolling out patches, many still see the error code surfacing mid-game moments after playing.
This article will address how you can fix this Cyberpunk 2077 crash on startup. All the methods listed are DIY and beginner-friendly, so you don’t have to break a sweat over it.
Causes of Cyberpunk 2077 Flatlined
Cyberpunk 2077 could be flatlining for a multitude of reasons, but through research and expansive observation, we have narrowed down the possible causes to a mere handful. And the good news is that your internet connection doesn’t factor into them. These days, everyone has access to great internet services, given the affordable deals available with Spectrum internet speeds and prices these days. But coming back to the issues, these are some of the main reasons why Cyberpunk 2077 has flatlined on startup:
- Check system requirements: This is one of the most commonly-faced and most frequently ignored reasons behind a Cyberpunk 2077 crash on startup. Sometimes systems are not equipped to render the most resource-heavy parts of the game, and as a result, the game flatlines immediately. It is always advisable to go through the game’s minimum requirements before launching it on your PC. If you are unsure how to ascertain if your PC is adept at running the game, you can check it on Can You Run It.
- Corrupted files: Needless to say, corrupt game files never mean well. So, if you see Cyberpunk 2077 flatlining on startup, it could just be a case of one or some of your game files being corrupted. Try checking the integrity of all game files either on GOG, Steam, or Epic Games (depending on where you bought the game from). If you do find a corrupt game file, reinstalling could often be the only viable option.
- Outdated GPU driver: If your PC lacks the graphical dependencies required to render Cyberpunk 2077, it could lead to the game flatlining. So, if your game flatlines, do check for GPU driver updates, along with any updates available for the physics module. You might consider using Device Manager to look for updates automatically. If you prefer doing this manually, the Nvidia or AMD proprietary update tools will come to your rescue.
- Overlay tools: In-game overlay software are notorious for causing game crashes and glitches. So, if Cyberpunk 2077 flatlined on your PC, you might want to disable all in-game overlays for the time being and relaunch the game again to see if it still crashes. Be it Steam’s overlays or otherwise, you can head straight to the software and disable the overlay feature.
- Enabled debug mode: Mods are common in the gaming community, and Cyberpunk 2077 is no different. So, if you are trying to run multiple mods with the game on an Nvidia GPU, you will need to enable the Debug Mode present in the Nvidia Control Panel to stabilize the game.
These are the common reasons behind Cyberpunk 2077 flatlining on your PC. Make sure you affirm all the necessary requirements before launching the game.
Solved: “Cyberpunk 2077 has Flatlined”
Now that we know the common causes behind Cyberpunk 2077 flatlining, it’s time to go through the ways to fix the issue. There are quite a few effective ways to resolve the Cyberpunk 2077 crash on startup. It’s just a matter of trial and error before you get to the bottom of the issue.
Let’s look at one fix at a time:
The first and foremost method to try out is inevitably restarting your PC immediately. This is an old trick in the book, but often it works surprisingly well. If Cyberpunk 2077 flatlined on your system, try to follow these few steps to restart your PC:
- Tap on the ‘Windows’ icon on the taskbar.
- Navigate to the power icon and click on it. A pop-up box will appear to the right with ‘Sleep,’ ‘Shut Down,’ and ‘Restart’ options, in that order.
- Hit’ Restart.’
You will be surprised by how many times this method gets rid of the issue, but if you still see the error code, move on to the next best fix.
Check Minimum Requirements
Not all systems are compatible with Cyberpunk 2077, so before installing the game, make sure your PC checks off the compatibility requirements. Here’s a brief idea of the system requisites to run Cyberpunk 2077. Take a look and cross-check with your system. The game might just be crashing because your PC is not compatible with the game’s minimum requirements.
- CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K/ AMD FX-8310
- GPU: GTX 780/ Radeon RX 470
- RAM: 8 GB
- Operating System: 64-bit Windows 7/ 64-bit Windows 10
- Pixel Shader: 5.1
- Vertex Shader: 5.1
- Sound Card: Yes
- Free Disk Space: 70 GB
- Dedicated VRAM: 3 GB
Check Tom’s article on The Arcade Man for more information on the system requirements of Cyberpunk 2077 and the best PC settings for Cyberpunk 2077. If you do not want to compare the specs manually, you can install the Can You Run It tool, which will automatically scan your system’s specs and cross-check it with the game’s minimum specs to ascertain if you can run it.
Check Game Files
If Cyberpunk 2077 flatlined on your system, it is a good idea to check the integrity of all your game files. It’s quite simple to do that if you go about it the right way. Follow the steps listed below, and verify the integrity of your Cyberpunk 2077 game files without much hassle. Here’s how to check:
- Open ‘Steam’ and double-click on ‘Cyberpunk 2077’.
- Navigate to ‘Local Files’ and click on ‘Verify Integrity of Game Files.’
- After the completion of the process, check if Cyberpunk 2077 launches.
- Launch the ‘GOG’ launcher and head to the ‘Library.’
- Right-click on ‘Cyberpunk 2077’ and choose ‘Manage Installation’ from the pop-up.
- Choose the ‘Verify/Repair.’
- GOG will then start verifying the game files. If something looks odd, the launcher will take care of it.
On Epic Games:
- Open the ‘Epic Games’ launcher, and navigate to the ‘Library.’
- Go to ‘Cyberpunk 2077’, and tap on the 3 dots.
- Select ‘Verify’ from the drop-down list.
- Give the launcher a few minutes to verify the game files.
If you have already verified the game files and all seems hunky-dory, it’s time to move on to the next fix.
Reinstall/ Update Graphics Drivers
Many times, you will see Cyberpunk 2077 crash on start-up solely because your graphics card drivers are in desperate need of updates. If this rings true for you, you are in luck. The fix is quite easy, and it takes but a few minutes to update your GPU driver. Here’s how to do that:
- Tap on Windows + X and select ‘Device Manager.’
- Choose ‘Display Adapters’ to see the graphics drivers currently installed on your PC.
- Open the ‘Device’ tab and click on ‘Update Driver.’
This should fix the issue of Cyberpunk 2077 flatlining. If the issue still persists, there’s one more way to resolve it.
You might like to have in-game overlays while playing if you are a streamer. However, the overlays are among the most commonly noticed culprits behind games such as Cyberpunk 2077 crashing. If your in-game overlays are on and Cyberpunk 2077 flatlined on startup, it might help to disable them from the overlay software for the time being. Here’s how to go about it:
- Click on the ‘Steam’ icon on the top-left corner, and click on ‘Settings.’
- Navigate to the ‘In-Game’ tab, and disable all in-game features shown on the screen.
- Tap on ‘OK’ to apply the changes, and restart the game soon after.
If overlays were behind Cyberpunk 2077 flatlining on your PC, it is time to resolve this quite simple-to-handle problem. These steps will definitely make the job easier.
Here’s the takeaway: when it comes to technical crashes and errors in games such as Cyberpunk 2077, it all boils down to patience, trial and error, and, lastly, calmness. If you find the issue getting on your nerves, it might be best to take some time off and get back to it once you think you are ready to tackle the issues. The methods are quite simple, but they need to be executed properly.
We hope this article helped you fix the Cyberpunk 2077 crash on startup. If you are still in the process of resolving it, good luck!