RDR2 Err_Gfx_State: How to Fix It Quickly in 4 Ways
This annoying error has many causes, so let's eliminate them one by one! 💪
Many gamers face frequent issues with the RDR2 ERR_GFX_STATE, preventing them from launching or enjoying one of the most popular Rockstar titles. We were decisive in investigating this matter, and as a result, we created an ultimate list of the most common causes and suitable solutions for fixing the GFX State error in Red Dead Redemption 2.
What is GFX state error?
ERR_GFX_STATE in RDR2 is a graphics processing-related error occurring due to compatibility issues with background apps, corrupted game files, problems with DirectX 11, an outdated GPU driver, deteriorated RDR2 settings, missing Visual C++ dependencies, enabled overclock settings or pilled-up temporary files.
How do you fix GFX state error in Red Dead Redemption 2?
To fix the Red Dead Redemption 2 Err_Gfx_State error, try applying these quick checks and fixes:
- Check the DirectX version: We made a complete guide on installing the latest DirectX 12, so we advise you to follow through.
- Check system requirements
Proceed with the step-by-step solutions listed below.
1. Change launch options
Cache files are designed to help the game launch and run smoother. However, if cache files are corrupted, you can use a launch options command to ignore them so ERR_GFX_STATE doesn’t occur in RDR2.
- Launch Steam.
- Right-click on Red Dead Redemption 2 and select Properties.
- Scroll down to the Launch Options in the default General tab.
- Paste -ignorepipelinecache and close Properties.
- Launch RDR2.
2. Update the GPU driver
Time needed: 5 minutes
An outdated graphics driver won’t support your graphics card in the initial graphical processing, which can lead to the ERR_GFX_STATE. To avoid this, you must install the latest GPU driver.
- Click on the Windows icon, type Device Manager, and select this tool from the search results.
- Double-click on the Display Adapters section.
- Right-click on your GPU and select the Update driver option.
- Select the Search automatically for drivers option.
- Install the driver update.
- Restart your PC.
There is an easier and more reliable way to keep the GPU driver up-to-date! Use Outbyte Driver Updater to automatize the complete process, from scanning to installing the latest driver updates!
⇒ Get Outbyte Driver Updater
3. Delete RDR2 settings
Some gamers discovered that deleting settings prevents RDR2 error GFX state from occurring. Initial loading after deleting these files will take a minute longer than the files generated, but it is a small price for being able to play Red Dead Redemption without this annoying GFX state error.
- Use the Windows Key + E shortcut to open File Explorer.
- Navigate to This PC > Documents > Rockstar Games > Red Dead Redemption 2 > Settings.
This is the default location. If you changed it, navigate to your Rockstar Games folder.
- Select all files beginning with sga_, right-click on them, and select Delete.
Don’t delete bin files!
- Launch RDR2 and wait for the game to regenerate settings files.
4. Install Visual C++ dependencies
Visual C++ dependencies are necessary for Windows games. Usually, they are installed with the game, but if your system requires a newer version, you might have to install them manually. By doing so you might solve the GFX state error in RDR2.
- Open the official page for the Visual C++ Redist Packages download.
- Click on the Link and download vc_redist suitable for your operating system architecture.
➡ X86 is for 32-bit systems.
➡ X64 is for 64-bit systems.
- Run the installation package and follow the steps.
- Restart your PC.
Extra steps to fix Red Dead Redemption 2 ERR_GFX_STATE:
If none of the solutions provided above managed to solve the error GFX state in RDR2, here are some additional methods to troubleshoot RDR2 ERR_GFX_STATE:
- ❌ Disable overclock settings: Many gamers report that Red Dead Redemption 2 isn’t working well with overclock settings enabled.
- 🧹 Perform a Disk Cleanup: Click on the Windows icon, type Disk Cleanup, and open this app. Run the cleanup and restart your PC after.
- 📁 Reinstall RDR2 on C drive: If nothing else works out, we recommend you uninstall the game, restart your PC, and perform a clean RDR2 installation on your main drive.
- 🔬Close unnecessary background processes: Before launching the game, close all apps visible in the taskbar to prevent compatibility issues.
- 🔎Verify game files: This way, you will find and repair potentially corrupted game files without reinstalling RDR2.
- Red Dead Redemption 2 Won’t Launch: Fix It in 3 Quick Ways
- RDR2 Error FFFF: Fix It Quickly in 4 Ways
- Red Dead Redemption 2 ERR_GFX_INIT: Fix It in 3 Ways
- Red Dead Redemption 2 Stuck On Loading Screen: 4 Solutions
- Red Dead Redemption 2 Crashing: Quickly Fix It in 3 Ways
In conclusion, the RDR2 ERR_GFX_STATE can be resolved by changing launch options, updating the GPU driver, deleting RDR2 settings, and installing Visual C++ dependencies. Initially, you can close background apps, verify the integrity of game files and install the latest DirectX 12.
Don’t forget to disable overclock settings and perform a Disk Cleanup. Reinstall Red Dead Redemption 2 on your main drive as a last resort. We wish you the best of luck in troubleshooting and enjoying the story of the Van der Linde gang.