Last Train Home Won’t Launch: Ways to Make It Work
If Last Train Home won't launch for you either, follow my lead. I've recently encountered this problem and fixed it in no time using the solutions below.
After I’d been playing this game for hours, I was too exhausted to continue, so I closed my PC. Unfortunately, when I opened it again, I noticed that Last Train Home wouldn’t launch anymore. At first, I thought that there was a game issue and that a simple restart would fix the issue. Yet, it didn’t, and I was a bit let down by this situation. Thus, after I took a break, I started troubleshooting the problem, and I found a few solutions that worked well when combined, so I decided to share them all below.
Why Won’t Last Train Home Launch?
When Last Train Home fails to start, it can be due to a variety of factors ranging from software conflicts to outdated system components. Most of the time, I’ve noticed that the main problem is outdated drivers. However, identifying the root cause is key to finding an effective solution. Thus, I will leave a list of the most commonly encountered causes.
- Outdated Graphics Drivers: Old drivers might not support the game properly, leading to launch failures.
- Software Conflicts: Other programs running in the background, especially overlays or antivirus software, might interfere with the game.
- Corrupted Game Files: Missing or corrupted game files can prevent the game from starting.
- System Requirements: If your PC doesn’t meet the game’s minimum requirements, it might not launch.
- Outdated Operating System: An older OS might not be compatible with the game.
- Disabled Game Services: Essential background services needed for the game to run might be disabled on your computer.
- Incorrect Game Configuration: If the game’s configuration files have been altered incorrectly, either manually or by third-party software, it can prevent the game from launching.
- Insufficient Storage Space: Lack of sufficient storage space on the drive where the game is installed can lead to launch issues.
How to to fix the Last Train Home won’t launch issue?
To fix the Last Train Home won’t launch issue, first confirm that the game’s hardware requirements are met by your device. After that, follow the suggestions listed below. I fixed this issue by mixing the solutions together, and the good part is that in this way you might also end up boosting your overall performance.
🚂Quick Tip: Try to run Last Train Home alone with any other application you’d usually use closed.
- Update Graphics Drivers
- Close Unnecessary Background Processes
- Verify Game Files
- Update Operating System
- Run the Game as Administrator
- Reinstall the Game
- Perform a Clean Boot
- Run a System File Checker (SFC) Scan
- Run the Game in Compatibility Mode
- Disable Fullscreen Optimizations
- Allow Game Through Firewall
1. Update Graphics Drivers
I update my graphics drivers as they often solve compatibility issues with games. Updated drivers can ensure that Last Train Home has the necessary support from my hardware to launch properly.
- Open Device Manager: Press the Win + X and select Device Manager.
- Find Graphics Card: In Display adapters, click to see your graphics card.
- Update Driver: Right-click on the graphics card and select Update driver. Choose Search automatically for updated driver software.
- Restart Computer: Once the update is done, restart your computer.
2. Close Unnecessary Background Processes
I close the unnecessary processes that drain up way too many resources. This frees up system resources, which can sometimes resolve issues where Last Train Home won’t launch due to insufficient available memory or processing power.
- Close Programs: Before starting the game, close any unnecessary programs, especially those with overlays like Discord or screen recording software.
- Check Background Processes: Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open Task Manager and close programs using a lot of resources.
3. Verify Game Files
I use the game launcher’s feature to verify the integrity of game files. This process checks for any missing or corrupted files in Last Train Home and fixes them, which can often resolve launch issues.
- Open Game Launcher: Like Steam, where Last Train Home is installed.
- Library: Go to the Library section.
- Game Properties: Right-click on Last Train Home and choose Properties.
- Local Files: Click the Local Files tab and select Verify integrity of game files.
4. Update Operating System
I keep my operating system up-to-date. An updated OS ensures better compatibility with the latest games, and often, a game like Last Train Home won’t launch if certain system updates are missing.
- Settings: Press the Win + I to open Settings.
- Update & Security: Click on Update & Security.
- Check for Updates: Click Check for updates and install any available updates.
5. Run the Game as Administrator
I run Last Train Home as an administrator to give it necessary permissions. Sometimes, lack of permissions can prevent the game from accessing essential files or settings, leading to launch issues.
- Find Game Shortcut: Locate Last Train Home on your desktop.
- Properties: Right-click on it and select Properties.
- Compatibility Tab: Go to the Compatibility tab.
- Administrator Privileges: Check Run this program as an administrator.
- Apply and OK: Click Apply and then OK.
6. Reinstall the Game
As a last resort, I reinstall the game to address potential issues with the installation. A fresh install can eliminate any corrupt files or settings that were causing the Last Train Home won’t launch issue.
- Uninstall Game: Go to Settings and then to Apps, find Last Train Home, and click Uninstall.
- Reinstall Game: Open your game launcher, find Last Train Home, and click Install.
7. Perform a Clean Boot
I perform a clean boot on my PC to start with minimal background services. This helps to identify if any background applications are interfering with the game’s launch.
- System Configuration: Press Win + R, type msconfig, and hit Enter.
- Selective Startup: In the General tab, select Selective startup. Uncheck Load startup items.
- Services: Go to the Services tab, check Hide all Microsoft services, then click Disable all.
- Apply and Restart: Click Apply, then OK, and restart your computer.
8. Run a System File Checker (SFC) Scan
I run an SFC scan to repair corrupted system files. Sometimes, corrupted Windows system files can cause games like Last Train Home to fail to launch.
- Command Prompt as Admin: Press the Windows key, type
cmd, right-click Command Prompt, and select Run as administrator.
- Start SFC Scan: Type
sfc /scannowand press Enter.
- Wait for Completion: Wait until the scan finishes, then restart your computer.
9. Run the Game in Compatibility Mode
I run Last Train Home in compatibility mode, particularly if I have a newer operating system. This mode helps resolve compatibility issues that can prevent older or certain games from launching.
- Right-Click Game Icon: On your desktop or Start menu.
- Properties: Select Properties.
- Compatibility Tab: Click the Compatibility tab.
- Enable Compatibility Mode: Select Run this program in compatibility mode for and choose an older version of Windows.
- Apply and Close: Click Apply and then OK.
10. Disable Fullscreen Optimizations
I disable fullscreen optimizations for the game. This Windows feature, while intended to improve gaming, can sometimes interfere with how the Last Train Home launches or runs.
- Find Game Executable: Right-click on the Last Train Home executable file in the game folder.
- Properties: Click Properties.
- Compatibility Tab: Go to the Compatibility tab.
- Disable Optimizations: Check Disable fullscreen optimizations.
- Apply and OK: Click Apply, then OK.
11. Allow Game Through Firewall
I ensure Last Train Home is allowed through the firewall. Firewall restrictions can sometimes block games, especially those requiring internet access, from launching correctly.
- Open Firewall Settings: Type firewall in the search bar and open Windows Defender Firewall.
- Allow an App: Click Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall.
- Change and Add Game: Click Change settings, find Last Train Home, check it, or add it if it’s not listed.
- Save Settings: Click OK to apply changes.
Tips and tricks to avoid launch issues in Last Train Home
- Modifying the Resolution of the Game: To ensure Last Train Home launches smoothly on my system, I sometimes adjust the game’s resolution. Lowering the resolution can significantly ease the load on my graphics card, especially if it’s not the latest model, and can help in successfully launching the game, especially on systems struggling with high-resolution settings.
- Running the Game as Administrator: I have found that running Last Train Home as an administrator can sometimes make a big difference. This gives the game extra permissions it might need to access certain files or settings on my computer, which can be crucial for it to launch correctly, especially if there are permission-related issues.
- Modifying Game Settings from the Config File: Editing the config file of Last Train Home allows me to tweak settings that aren’t available in the game’s standard options menu. I do this carefully, adjusting values like graphics settings or controls, to optimize the game’s performance for my system’s capabilities. This can sometimes be the key to resolving launch issues, particularly when I need to fine-tune settings that the in-game menu doesn’t cover.
Each of these methods addresses different potential barriers that might cause the Last Train Home won’t launch issue. Also, keep in mind that the best thing you can do is mix the solutions mentioned to increase your success rate. Additionally, when you encounter launch issues in games, it is best to first check if you meet the system requirements and then to make sure that everything on your device is up to date. If you find any other solutions to this problem, feel free to share them with me. I will test them out and add them to the list.