The Last of Us Low FPS: Best Ways to Improve Performance
To boost FPS in Last of Us, update the graphics card driver, and follow the these methods 🚀
If you are a gamer who is looking for a solution to fix The Last of Us low FPS problem, this article will help you. Like you, many others have encountered this problem and were able to solve it by following the methods featured in this post.
A story-riched game with excellent graphics and visual representation is a dream for gamers. The Last of Us is one of the few games having this type of characteristics. However, if frame-dropping and stuttering issues appear, it can ruin the excitement.
Why is FPS so low all of a sudden in The Last of Us?
If there is no problem with the system requirements, any of these can be the root of this problem:
- Graphics driver problem: For any type of low FPS, frame dropping, or laggy performance issue on The Last of Us Part 1, an outdated or buggy graphics card driver is the primary reason.
- Problematic game components: If the game components and the installation files have some issues, you will experience The Last of Us won’t launch or terrible performance issues from this game.
- Third-party services: Excessive third-party services active in the background can be another reason you are getting poor frame rates from this item.
- Improper settings: Else, improper settings either on Windows or the game itself can trigger performance issues on The Last of Us.
How do I fix The Last of Us low FPS problem?
Before getting started, you must ensure the following things:
- Make sure that your PC meets the system requirements of The Last of Us.
- Ensure that you have installed the Visual C++ packages and the DirectX runtime.
- Disable your antivirus and firewall and see if it helps.
Now, follow these methods to get rid of low FPS problem on The Last of Us:
- Update the display driver
- Disable fullscreen optimization
- Close unnecessary background services
- Disable Vsync
- Roll back the GPU driver
- Re-install the GPU driver
- Repair the game files
1. Update the display driver
Time needed: 5 minutes.
To boost FPS and overcome low performance issues on The Last of Us, you must update the graphics driver of your PC.
To boost The Last of Us FPS and performance, you should use DriverFix to update the graphics card driver. This tool can find your GPU’s most recent version of the game-ready driver and install it with just a single click.
2. Disable fullscreen optimization
- Open the Steam app.
- Go to the Game library.
- Right-click on The Last of Us, go to Manage and click Browse local files.
- Right-click on the EXE file and then go to Properties.
- Navigate to the Compatibility tab.
- Tick Disable fullscreen optimization.
- Click on Apply and OK.
3. Close unnecessary background services
If you want to gain more FPS in The Last of Us, you must kill unnecessary services running in the background. To do it, follow these steps:
- Press CTRL + Shift + Esc on the keyboard to open the Task Manager.
- Go to the Processes tab.
- Click on the process you want to turn off and then click on End Task.
- In this way, disable all the unnecessary and problematic processes.
Keep in mind that you should not end any services you are not familiar with. It may create other issues.
4. Disable Vsync
- Open the Start Menu, search for the NVIDIA Control Panel or any other graphics control panel depending on your GPU model, and open it.
- Go to the Manage 3D settings.
- Find the Vertical sync and turn it off.
- Save the settings.
- Restart your computer.
5. Roll back the GPU driver
- Open Device Manager like before.
- Expand Display adapters and double-click on the GPU driver to open its properties.
- Go to the Driver tab.
- Click on Roll Back Driver.
- Follow any onscreen steps to complete the process.
6. Re-install the GPU driver
6.1 Uninstall the driver
- Open the Device Manager.
- Right-click on the graphics driver and then click on Uninstall.
- Check Attempt to remove the driver for this device and click on Uninstall.
- Restart Windows.
6.2 Install again
- Depending on your graphics card chipset, go to AMD, Intel, or NVIDIA driver download page.
- Select the GPU model you are using and click on Search.
- Download and install the driver on your PC.
- Restart Windows.
This method works well if the GPU driver on your PC has become corrupted. After re-installing, launch The Last of Us and start playing and then see if the frame dropping issue still exists or not.
7. Repair the game files
- Go to the Steam game library.
- Right-click on The Last of Us and then click on Properties.
- Go to the Local files tab and click Verify game file integrity.
- Wait for a while until Steam finishes the process.
Depending on several factors, it may take longer time to repair. However, after repairing, you can play and verify whether it has worked or not. This method will also help If The Last of Us becomes stuck on the loading screen.
Additional things to do:
Are you still getting very low FPS count in The Last of Us Part 1? You can consider doing these things too:
- Re-install the game completely.
- Update Windows and see if it fixes the problem.
- Try to find out if it is a known problem with the current version of The Last of Us or not. If yes, keep patience until the developers release a patch.
If you are interested, learn how to solve The Last of Us crashing problem.
This article has explained how to fix The Last of Us low FPS problem on your PC. If you have any useful suggestions that may help other gamers, feel free to write it down in the comment box.
If you encounter any issues or errors while playing your favorite games and require support, feel free to contact us here. Our team is always ready to assist you and ensure your gaming experience is seamless and enjoyable.